Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Can African-American women have Japanese hair straightening? Is this healthier than a relaxer?

I have natural hair that is proving much harder to maintain than I had anticipated. I used to have braids (read: almost zero maintenance). I don't have the time, energy or manual dexterity to do this by myself. I cannot make myself comb my hair any more as no amount of detangler makes it bearable. I'm not getting twists. I really don't have the money for the weekly press %26amp; curl that won't even hold up for a week.



I do not want to go back to braids and I don't want a relaxer, but these seem to be two options that I can deal with. Then there's Japanese hair straightening...



Can black women get Japanese hair straightening?



Have YOU had Japanese straightening and what were the results?



Can African-American women have Japanese hair straightening? Is this healthier than a relaxer?

I have never tried the straightening technique but I researched it and I thought about it. Then I realized that the relaxer breaks down the hair cuticle layers, then I discovered that the Japenese technique also breaks down the hair cuticle layers, so I figured I might as well either stick with my natural hair or go back to a perm, since scientifically they do the same thing to my hair.



I am an African American Women with natural hair(I started by transtioning for 14 months and then I cut the rest of my permed hair off, 10 months ago - now I am totally natural - and my hair is 3 inches past my shoulders - (stretched out of course).



During the fall, winter and most of the spring I wear my hair in a afro puff or I go to the shop and get it flat ironed out (like a curly, bouncy roller set). I just wrap it around and am good for about 10 days and I wear a neat pony tail for the other 4 days, then I go back to the shop to get the process done again.



But this summer and last summer (especially since I didn't get any braids) has proved challenging. I found a good routine for my hair, especially since (like you), I am not the best at styling my own hair.



Basically, I have found out, that different products give my hair different results.



If you are not careful, then finding the wrong product can make your hair big and swollen, hard to comb through and some products will not define the natural curls, we have in our hair (and it ends up looking like an unattractive afro).



Anyway, Going through all the phases and trying new styles caused me to dig into all kinds of different products to make my hair more manageable.



So here's my suggestion for you -



Remember to mix and match for your hair specifically (till you find something that works for your hair).



This is what I use:



RedKens shampoo called "Fresh Look curls"(i'm going to try the suave version of this product per it's way cheaper). This shampoo turns your hair into a sea of tiny, tiny curls, it's great for making your afro puff look defined - you will get compliments. Also, I know people say do no poo technique, but I found that my hair is stiff and swollen if I don't shampoo - I think the best technique is finding a good shampoo that works with your hair.



Suave's Professional Sleek conditioner - (I know this is wierd but wet the hair, apply the Sleek conditioner first, then add in the fresh curls shampoo with it (comb through your hair with your fingers for 5 to 10 minutes) and rinse. My hair looks really pretty when I do this.



I love IC's aloe vera gel (either the clear one, which makes the hair firmer than the blue one, or the blue one, for colored hair (i don't have colored hair but I like this one the best - it leaves the hair feeling more moisturized yet you have a slight firmness). This product gives you a neat and groomed appearance everytime - especially for neat ponytails and smooth edges).



I can also apply this stuff like a perm (the blue one ONLY). Just wash your hair as describe above (it should be easy to comb through). Part the hair in medium sections apply the gel to the roots and at the ends (apply liberally and comb through and go to the next section - apply this technique to the whole head). You will probally use half the jar and it takes about 25 minutes to apply it to the whole head. Let it dry (takes my hair 24 hours to air dry - don't worry it looks wavy and pretty as it dries) then add moisture like the triple moisture mentioned below. It gives you hair a full appearance and your afro puffs will be easy to wear daily (just try it - you'll like it). I have had no breakage from this technique - just remember not to comb through it while it's dry.



Last but not least, Neutrogena new triple moisture silk leave-in. It's filled with moisture. I can wake up, take my satan cap off, put this in my hair and pull it into a ponytail or into a afro puff - it's great with the technique mentioned above!



Deep conditioning can be done once a month I use the Organic Root Stimulator Mayonaise Deep Conditioner for this.



Eilsha



p.s. I am not affilited with any of the products I mentioned above nor do I recieve any incentives from them or their affiliates.



Also, I put a link below for a youtube video of a lady using this technique with my favorite gel. Her technique is good, but I have found that I have to apply more gel to my hair than she does because my hair is nappier than hers. Also, I don't mix the oil in, this does not work with my grade of hair, I wait till it's dry, then I add oil or moisture.



Hope this helps with you hair challenges...



Good Luck...



Can African-American women have Japanese hair straightening? Is this healthier than a relaxer?

I am not sure but maybe you don't want a relaxer because it breaks your hair off but try the regular relaxer it burns the scalp less and it doesn't damage your hair as much. You can also get curls if you want I am not sure about the Japanese hair straightener but maybe your beautician knows more about this.



Can African-American women have Japanese hair straightening? Is this healthier than a relaxer?

it is not recommended for african american or thick haired women to use the japanese straightning techniques.



They solutions that they use are specifacally formulated for fine hair with minimal curls [as you can note not many asians have curly hair most have fine straight hair] but they made this for the few "unlucky" ones.



I dont know much about african american hair, I did not study into it as much but i do know that you can use it but will not see very effective results.



hope this helps :]



Can African-American women have Japanese hair straightening? Is this healthier than a relaxer?

Girl why is your natural hard to maintain?? Of course, everything is maintenance. Whether its relaxed or not you have to keep up your hair.



Ok, since you are a woman who does not like to fuss, why dont you try twisting you own hair (i twist mine myself). On a sunday afternoon or whenever you have a couple hours, just twist your whole head as small as you can. You can use shea butter for hold. The twists will look bomb and it will last 2 weeks. You can even wash your hair with the twists in. After 2 weeks you can take the twists out and rock a twist-out for about a week.



Dont comb your natural hair dry, only detangle it in the shower while its soaked with conditioner. Creme of Nature has a great shampoo and conditioner that makes your hair soft.



Have you been on nappturality.com or motowngirl.com?? Its full of advice and style tips.



My hair is not long, i've been natural a little over a year. But u can check out my hair photo album and you can also click on other peoples names to see their albums, and see what styles they do. I dont do too many styles, i hate to fuss and i'm cheap so i rarely go to salons.

No comments:

Post a Comment