Tuesday, November 3, 2009

If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?

If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?



I think my hair type is 4a, but I'm not completely sure. When it is wet, it has an "S" pattern to it. It looks like this (but shorter):



http://www.growafrohairlong.com/images/e...



When it is dry, it turns into this:



http://www.growafrohairlong.com/images/l...



I am 16 years old. I had a relaxer done by a professional at the age of 13. I think the brand was Design Essentials, but I am not sure. My hair broke out and thinned over the course of a few months, and I had to cut the damage off (down to 2 1/2 to 3 inches) before the start of my freshman year in high school. I wore braid extensions for a while, and then I started to get my hair flat-ironed at a salon. It has been about 2 and a half years since I cut my hair after the relaxer breakage. My hair is now somewhere between shoulder and armpit length (closer to armpit length). It is very thick, and my stylist says it is very healthy.



If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?

Neither is good for your hair, but flat ironing is the better of the two. Continue to get it professionally done though so you don't damage your hair.



If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?

If you straighten your hair it will take life out of it



then itl look dull hard frizzy and boring.



Just wash your hair and try to keep your hair as clean as you can .



you can make pigtails or comb it to a pony tail.



If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?

i suggest flat ironing, by a spray for it though, so you dont damage your hair, or you could just blow dry it perfectly straight



=]



If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?

If you want healthy hair, then nothing. Leave it alone or it will be damaged and dry. Chances are, that once it gets longer, the weight of the hair will pull it down.



If I want healthy, waist-length hair, is flat-ironing or relaxing better?

I'm half black and my natural hair is very kinky and frizzy too. I couldn't manage it being like and i would have to try my best to pull it back.I tried flat ironing, but even the hottest irons couldn't get it as flat as i wanted and as soon as I walked outside my hair would poof up again. I also tried relaxers, but after a few weeks my hair would got back to it's natural state. My savior was the Japanese straightner. It makes your hair STRAIGHT and a hundred times more manageable. You still have to blow dry and flat iron your hair after you wash it, but it will be so much straighter, and so much easier. Japanese straightning can be expensive though. For just the roots it cost me $400. Another salon wanted to charge me $600 but that I thought that was ridiculous. So as you can tell, they charge by how curly your hair is and how long. Being that your hair is extremely curly, and kind of long, it will be pretty pricey. The Japanese straightner lasts a long time, but you will keep having to get your roots done. If you keep getting your hair straightened, it will get damaged. I've had the Japanese straightening done 4 times. Because my hair got so damaged..I had to cut it short. Now it kind of looks like straw, but I'd rather have it be straight and damaged, than a kinky almost afro that I can barely comb. I guess you just have to weigh out the positives and negatives. It'll be pretty the first time you get it. If you decide to keep gettting it, you'll need to make sure you keep it conditioned...and don't set your flat iron temp. too high. If you decide to get it done, also make sure that the person who does your hair, knows how to do the straightner and that they've done your hair type. If you decide not to get your hair chemically straightened, I think you will still end up damaging it with a flat iron. It will probably take you a couple hours (it took me that long) to get your hair presentable. You'll probably end up having to do it many times a week also. Some people say to just leave your hair alone, but they probably have a naturally straight hair type, or nice manageable curls. If I would have left my hair alone, I would probably have gotten so fed up, that I would have shaven it all off. Just do what's right for you and ask the advice of proffessionals who have delt with your hair type before.

No comments:

Post a Comment